Head of Department: Mrs Jane Terry - terryj@wellandparkacademy
Citizenship enables pupils to develop knowledge, skills and understanding to become informed, active and responsible members of local, national and global communities. It also incorporates Personal, Social, Health and Economic Education (PSHEE), which looks at issues relating to the individual (such as health, RSE, finance and careers). The curriculum follows the statuary guidelines recommended by the DFE.
All students have one Citizenship lesson a week, which is taught by their Form Tutor. However, it is also promoted and delivered in assemblies, enrichment days/activities and events outside of lessons and throughout subject areas.
The Citizenship programme aims to enable students to:
- develop self-awareness, positive self-esteem and confidence
- develop a healthy lifestyle
- learn to keep themselves and others safe
- develop effective relationships
- learn to respect the differences between people
- develop independence and responsibility
- play an active role as a member of society and become a good citizen
- make the most of their abilities
- reflect on their experiences
- plan for the future
Assessment in Citizenship takes a variety of forms. Pupils self-assess their own skills and attributes. They have formal written tasks marked by their Form Tutor, as well as quizzes and discussion feedback.
As part of the Citizenship programme, students are prepared for the world of work from Year 7. We have been fortunate to receive the gold career mark award for our programme of study and follow the Gatsby 8 guidelines. We work closely with LLEP and LEBC. The skills the students develop in lessons, allow them to develop the confidence to make well-informed choices for their career path.
- Latest News
There are currently no news items.
In this section
- Art and Design
- Computing, Business and ICT
- Design and Technology
- GCSE Curriculum
- Keystage 4 Results
- Learning Hub
- Learning Support Department
- Media Studies
- Modern Foreign Languages
- Physical Education
- Extra Curricular Activities
- Duke of Edinburgh
- Work Experience
- National Citizen Service (NCS)